The treasures of the Loggia - The Oratory of the Rosary of Saint Cita
Names: Oratorio del Rosario di Santa Cita - Santa Zita - San Mamiliano.
Type of site: Oratory Faith: Roman Catholic
The Oratorio del Rosario di Santa Cita is a small Chapel in Palermo, Sicily, dedicated to the Virgin of the Rosary. It was built in the 16th century in gratitude for the Virgin’s miraculous intervention at the Battle of Lepanto (1571) against the Turks. The neighboring Church of Santa Cita (Chiesa di Santa Cita), from which the Oratory takes its name, is filled with sculptures (1517-27) by Antonello Gagini. The stucco decoration is the art of Giacomo Serpotta (after 1688), and an inscription was installed in 1934 in his remembrance to mark the Second Centenary of his death.
The treasures of the Lodge are five architectural jewels, very close to each other. Extremely nearby, located in the hearth of the City between via Roma and the port of Palermo: (the Oratory of the Rosary in Saint Dominic), the Oratorio del Rosario in San Domenico, (the Oratory of the Rosary of Saint Cita), the Oratorio del Rosario in Santa Cita, the Church of Saint George, the Church of Saint Ignazio the Genovese, (the Church of Saint Mary’s), the Church of Santa Maria di Valverde. Valuable artworks can be seen of the extraordinary Anton Van Dyck, Luca Giordano, Mathias Stom, Pietro Novelli, Filippo Paladini, James Serpotta.
Towards the end of the thirteenth century, in the area of the Loggia (this district of Palermo), Genoa, Pisa, Venice and Amalfi, the construction of warehouses, stores, chapels, and lodges was determined. It was probable that the name of the Lodge area was due to the presence of merchants who had deep roots in the City. To this day the many square surrounding the old quarters seem to testify the ancient and intense life of Churches and Oratory of the past and have returned to life.
In the background Garraffello Square (district La Loggia) in a picture from the film Palermo Shooting by Wim Wenders